Thursday 4 August 2011

Home-Made Gnocchi With A Touch Of Jamie

A few weeks ago I tried my hand at making gnocchi. It was a pretty straight forward process and the results were really good for a first time effort, although I think the consistency was a bit too thick.
Next time I won't add as much flour as I've read that adding too much flour can make the dough heavy. There are plenty of recipes, and they're basically all the same. http://www.taste.com.au/how+to/articles/2245/make+gnocchi
The great thing about making gnocchi is that you can freeze what you're not using (once you've cut the dough into balls) and cook it from frozen the next time you fancy gnocchi. Which for me happened to be last night!
I decided to use Jamie Oliver's sauce from his recipe Trapani style rigatoni (but without the rigatoni, of course!). It's a bit like a pesto - I added blanched almonds, 40g parmesan and a red chilli to the food processor. Once the mixture was smooth I added a bunch of basil, 4 anchovy fillets, a big clove of garlic and 150g mini roma tomatoes to the mixture and whizzed it till it was a smooth paste (you can add olive oil to help smooth the mixture). Then all I had to do was cook the gnocchi until the pieces rose to the top of the boiling water, drain the gnocchi and then mix the sauce through. To serve I cut up a couple of the leftover tomatoes and added some basil leaves. Simply delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment