Saturday 20 August 2011

Fast Food

My crazy busy week at uni is finally over, and I made it out alive (it was touch and go there for a while...) Luckily I'd preplanned all the meals for the week with one thought in mind... Fast food! I'm talking 20 minutes from chopping board to mouth. 
Soup featured pretty heavily this week as I realized I hadn’t made any this winter and spring is fast approaching. The first soup I actually made on the weekend. Mum gave me an intimidating pumpkin from her veggie patch that has been begging me to make soup out of him for the past few weeks, so I made a few batches of Thai pumpkin soup. It’s a delicious take on pumpkin soup – the addition of coconut milk, red or green curry paste, ginger, kaffir lime leaves and lime juice, gives the traditional soup a real kick. Half a pumpkin made about 6 serves of soup, so now I’ve got the remainder of the roasted pumpkin in the freezer, which can be easily added to pastas, or more soup!



The second soup I cooked was what I’d like to call a Spanish minestrone.

1 chorizo
1 can chickpeas
1 can diced tomatoes
4 celery sticks, chopped
1 red capsicum, chopped
¾ bunch silverbeet (or spinach), half roughly chopped and the other half processed
½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon dried vegetable stock (or 1 cube)

Fry the chorizo for a few minutes then add the tomatoes and a can of water. Bring to the boil then add the remainder of the ingredients. Cover and bubble on high for about 10 minutes. Eat and enjoy!


It was even tastier when I had it for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment