Friday 26 August 2011

Cafe 58


Whilst googling cheap Vietnamese restaurants near Melbourne Uni, I found Cafe 58. It definitely ticked the cheap box, with all mains being about $9 (this was at lunch though), but whether it was an authentic Vietnamese restaurant, I'm not so sure. Their shrimp rice paper rolls with satay dipping sauce were wonderful - the fresh coriander and delicate texture could've convinced me I was in Hanoi. The beef spring rolls were nice, but after the rice paper rolls I was all about freshness! But once the mains came out I was no longer in Hanoi, but back on Johnston Street eating an asian meal. Not for one minute am I saying I didn't enjoy the meal - it was great - i ate the lot! But it wasn't real Vietnamese - I had rice vermicelli with vegetables and Mongolian sauce and my sister had Pad Thai... Need I say more? Nevertheless the food was great, the owner was friendly and attentive, and the value for money was excellent (especially when your Mum's paying!).

Shrimp Rice Paper Rolls with Satay Dipping Sauce
Beef Spring Rolls with Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce
Rice Vermicelli with Vegetables and Mongolian Sauce
Chicken Pad Thai

Cafe 58 Vietnamese Cuisine on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. Hi Allie Baba,
    Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/1542089/restaurant/Victoria/South-Melbourne/Freestyle-Espresso-Melbourne
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/71/760303/restaurant/Victoria/Cafe-58-Vietnamese-Cuisine-Fitzroy
    I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
    - Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
    - Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/71/6014/Victoria/Good-Gosh-Good-Gnosh.html

    - Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
    After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
    Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks,
    Meg
    www.urbanspoon.com

    ReplyDelete